Report: Steelers will lose draft pick for Mike Tomlin sideline incident
The NFL has in fact decided to strip a draft pick from the Pittsburgh Steelers as punishment for Mike Tomlin’s sideline misstep with Baltimore kick returner Jacoby Jones, CBS’ Jason La Canfora reported Sunday. The league previously fined Tomlin $100,000 for his actions on the play, in which the Pittsburgh coach nearly made contact with Jones as he ran down the sideline.
“Because the conduct affected a play on the field, a modification or forfeiture of draft choices will be considered after the final order of the 2014 draft has been determined,” the NFL said in a statement announcing that Tomlin fine.
According to La Canfora, the NFL will not hand down its final verdict in this case until all draft picks are set. That falls somewhat in line with earlier reports that the league would wait to see a) which compensatory draft slots the Steelers may wind up with; and b) if the four points that Tomlin’s act eventually cost Baltimore somehow came into play as a postseason tiebreaker.
“I take full responsibility for my actions, and I apologize for causing negative attention to the Pittsburgh Steelers organization,” Tomlin said in a statement earlier this week. “I accept the penalty that I received. I will no longer address this issue as I am preparing for an important game this Sunday against the Miami Dolphins.”
The Steelers already are without their third-round pick in 2014 — they traded that selection to Cleveland for a 2013 fourth-rounder, which Pittsburgh used on safety Shamarko Thomas.
The franchise could receive compensatory picks for losing players like WR Mike Wallace, CB Keenan Lewis and RB Rashard Mendenhall during last summer’s free-agent cycle. Those extra picks are announced in March.