2013 NFL Draft Day Rumors
What’s the latest buzz as the NFL descends on Radio City Music Hall for the 2013 NFL Draft? Here are some of the rumors making the rounds in the final hours before Kansas City goes on the clock:
• Has Kansas City made its choice? An update from Charean Williams of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram:
Joeckel apparently has been told by KC that Fisher is their pick.
— Charean Williams (@NFLCharean) April 25, 2013
• Manti Te’o reportedly destined for a top-20 spot: A pair of NFL Network reporters, Stacey Dales and Ian Rapaport believe that the Bears will select Te’o if he’s there at No. 20.
• Scratch that Mallett-to-Cleveland idea …: The Browns “have not and will not call” the Patriots about Mallett, per the Cleveland Plain Dealer
• Tyler Eifert an option for Carolina: Will Eifert still be on the board when the Panthers pick at No. 14 overall? If he is, then the Panthers might grab the talented tight end, according to the Charlotte Observer.
• More Tavon Austin chatter:
Some late #Jets buzz: They love WR Tavon Austin. Not as high on OLB Barkevious Mingo as some think. Could be looking for interior DLM.
— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) April 25, 2013
• Raiders want to trade down, take D.J. Hayden?: Pro Football Talk reports that is the case, while also mentioning that many teams think Hayden’s “game film and his medical file” are better than Alabama’s Dee Milliner. Jason La Canfora pushed the Raiders-Hayden rumors even further, suggesting that Oakland might take the Houston CB at No. 3 overall.
• Eric Fisher, not Luke Joeckel, at No. 1 overall?: This one’s been gaining steam over the past few days. ESPN’s Ed Werder tossed another log on the first Thursday, with a report that “the growing sense” is that Fisher will be Kansas City’s choice atop the draft. The Chiefs still appear to be working, too, on a trade that would send franchise-tagged tackle Branden Albert to Miami for a pick or two.
• Davone Bess trade could impact Day 3: Reports surfaced Wednesday night that the Dolphins were attempting to trade wide receiver Davone Bess for an extra draft pick. The Browns emerged as the front-runners. Now, Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports the Dolphins could receive a fourth-round pick from Cleveland in exchange for Bess and a late-round selection.
• Ryan Mallett to Cleveland?: SI’s Peter King had the Browns taking QB Geno Smith in his latest mock, so news that Cleveland is hunting a quarterback should come as no surprise.
Source: The Browns have called again about Ryan Mallett. The Patriots want at least a second-round pick in return.
— Jeff Howe (@jeffphowe) April 25, 2013
• Minnesota might be set on Manti Te’o: ESPN’s John Clayton reports that “If there is a way”, the Vikings will take the Notre Dame linebacker with one of their two first-round picks.
• Tavon Austin at No. 8?:
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 25, 2013
• 49ers plotting a move for Sheldon Richardson?: The 49ers are armed with a bevy of draft picks this year — 13 in all — and they might package a couple to jump from No. 31 and take Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson, per a report from Yahoo’s Jason Cole.
• Bills GM says “now is the time” for team to draft a QB: Refreshingly honest comment or total smokescreen? We won’t know until Thursday night, but Buffalo GM Buddy Nix told the team’s official website that he plans to draft a quarterback.
• Eagles zeroing in on Lane Johnson?: The Eagles might have their pick of Johnson and either Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel, should they opt to go OT at No. 4 overall. And it’s starting to sound like they’re leaning toward Johnson, according to Jeff McClane of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
• St. Louis looking to drop down?:
Rams’ second-first round pick, No. 22 overall, clearly is for sale. STL looking to deal out of 22.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 25, 2013
• Falcons eyeing a trade up?: That’s the word from Jason Cole of Yahoo, who reports that Atlanta might want to jump to pick 22 or 23, with the goal of taking Florida State DE Bjoern Werner.