Ryan Mathews to make 2012 debut: Week 3′s late-game inactives
The San Diego Chargers are off to a 2-0 start on the season despite playing without injured running back Ryan Mathews. But good news for San Diego: Mathews will be in the lineup Sunday against Atlanta and should get a full workload.
Here are the key actives/inactives we’re tracking for the Week 3 late games.
• Knowshon Moreno, RB, Broncos: Injury problem? Not here, that we know of. It appears that Moreno simply has been demoted deep down the Broncos’ depth chart after two subpar weeks — he has just 15 yards on eight carries thus far.
• Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers (calf): We knew earlier this week that Polamalu, James Harrison and Rashard Mendenhall likely would miss Pittsburgh’s Week 3 game, and there was no change on Sunday. The Steelers believe they can make do against Oakland without risking their top players.
• Adrian Wilson, S, Cardinals (ankle): Arizona’s pass defense will have to survive Sunday’s test from the Eagles without Wilson, who was questionable with an ankle injury and will not be able to go.
• Mike Goodson/Taiwan Jones, RB, Raiders (hamstring/ribs): The Raiders will have their full complement of running backs on Sunday. Goodson and Jones were questionable heading into the weekend, but each is healthy enough for action.
• Sebastian Janikowski, K, Raiders (groin): Janikowski seems to find his way onto the injury report more often than not. He’ll be up to his normal big-kickin’ ways on Sunday.
• Ryan Mathews, RB, Chargers (shoulder): The Chargers expected to have Mathews in the lineup this week, and the fact that Ronnie Brown will be inactive Sunday seems to indicate that San Diego plans to lean on its star RB.